International Self-Care Day
Today is International Self-Care Day! A day for people to reflect on whether you are giving yourself that extra bit of time and to consider ways that you can take care of yourself.
When you think of ‘self-care’, what do you think of? Is it running yourself a bubble bath, having a pamper day or a movie marathon? These all sound fun, but there is more to it than putting a face mask on and popping slices of cucumber on your eyes. Even the smallest actions can have long-term impacts, and the more you practice, the easier it will be to use them in times of distress and need.
When we seem to be struggling with our mental health, we tend to push aside the things that can help us. Like getting ourselves out of the house, doing activities we enjoy, or simply engaging in conversation. However, it is important to encourage ourselves to do these things and to try to take care of ourselves. Gently challenging ourselves to do these small advancements can help the overall way we are feeling.
Days like these encourage us to be extra kind to ourselves and to reset. They can prompt us to engage in activities that can make us feel better.
To honour this day, we want to encourage you to take time in your day to use your self-care strategies or to put a new one into place. Self-care can look different to everyone, and so we want to highlight some tips on how to maintain your health and wellbeing.
- Incorporate some form of exercise into your life to release those feel-good endorphins and enhance your sense of wellbeing.
- Ensure you get enough sleep to remain calmer and reduce levels of stress hormones.
- Limit screen time to free up time to have fun playing and making social connections.
- Stay connected with friends and family to increase your feelings of happiness and self-worth.
- Discover new hobbies and interests to lower stress levels and increase the desire to continue improving your skills.
- Seek support and guidance if needed to help develop coping strategies to deal with stressors as they arise.
By doing these 6 steps, you can aim to boost your overall mood and wellbeing.